- The KP Difference
- Coronavirus Support
- High-Quality Care
- Cost Management
- Experience KP
- Healthier Employees
- Enrollment Support and Resources
- Locate Services
- Health Plans
- Small Business
- Large Business
- Multi-State & National Business
- Labor and Trust Funds
- Group Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- Consumer Directed Health Care
- Occupational Health
- Additional Benefits
- PPO, Point-of-Service, Out-of-Area Plans
- Thrive At Work
This is the first in a series of articles about digital health. Be sure to also check out A Look at True Connectivity in Health Care.
These days there’s a lot of talk about the power of electronic medical records (EMRs) to transform care. But EMRs are just one element in a bigger digital health environment. While nearly 70% of U.S. doctors say they use some form of EMR, only 25% of them use sophisticated electronic health record (EHR) systems that can send preventive care reminders or electronic prescriptions.*
Digital health technology is groundbreaking, but it has a limited impact if caregivers aren’t connected to the same electronic health record system. This can lead to care fragmentation — where individual care decisions are made without taking into account the patient’s full picture of health — which can increase errors, missed diagnoses, and medical costs. Plus, patients might not be able to do things like email their doctor, check lab results, and order prescriptions online. In fact, 90% of Americans have never emailed their doctors.†
Paper to Pixels Infographic
Download this infographic to learn how an ideal electronic health record system can connect caregivers, hospitals, and patients to transform care — and empower employees to manage their health. You’ll see:
- how medical records have evolved over time
- the difference between EMRs, EHRs, and personal health records
- questions to help you evaluate the care your employees are getting now
A glossary of digital health terms
- Digital health — an umbrella term that encompasses health-related applications and technologies such as telemedicine, mobile health, electronic health records, wellness apps, and wearables
- Electronic health record (EHR) — a secure electronic database that houses information from all available patient medical records
- Electronic medical record (EMR) — a patient’s digital medical chart that doctors and other caregivers can refer to; includes medical history, MRIs, X-rays, allergies, test results, and more
- Personal health record (PHR) — a secure portal through which patients can access some of their electronic medical record information, as well as schedule appointments, check lab results, order prescriptions, and modify personal information
Visit Our Other Sites
Services covered under your health plan are provided and/or arranged by Kaiser Permanente health plans: Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc., in Northern and Southern California and Hawaii • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Colorado • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Georgia, Inc., Nine Piedmont Center, 3495 Piedmont Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30305, 404-364-7000 • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States, Inc., in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., 2101 E. Jefferson St., Rockville, MD 20852 • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Northwest, 500 NE Multnomah St., Suite 100, Portland, OR 97232 • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington or Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington Options, Inc., 320 Westlake Ave. N, Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98109 • Self-insured plans are administered by Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company, One Kaiser Plaza, Oakland, CA 94612© 2021 Kaiser Permanente Other Languages
Congratulations! You have successfully saved this item.
To access your Saved items any time, open the "Saved Items" folder in the top right corner of the page.
It seems that you do not have cookies enabled. Please enable cookies to make use of all of our site's functionality.
You haven't collected any items yet.
- Save Content
Click the "Save" icon next to the content you want to revisit later.
- Access Your Saved Items
Click on the "Saved Items" link at the top of the page or use the URL we create for you.
Be sure to copy and paste the URL we create for you before you leave the site.
1-5 of 14
After leave the site, your saved items will be saved for you at this URL:https://business.kaiserpermanente.org/saved-items?user=