- The KP Difference
- Health Plans
- Small Business
- Large Business
- Multi-State & National Business
- Labor & Trust
- Group Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- Consumer Directed Health Care
- Occupational Health
- Additional Benefits
- PPO, Point-of-Service, Out-of-Area Plans
- Thrive At Work
- Health Plans
Affordable Care Act
How health care reform affects your business
Health care reform is in full swing now, with most major provisions in place. Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), health care reform presents you with the opportunity to re-examine your health care strategy and keep your organization ahead of the curve.
To make the right decisions, you’ll need to answer such key questions as:
- How does the ACA impact my decision of whether to offer coverage?
- Is my business considered large or small under the ACA?
- What employer requirements do I need to be concerned with?
The following pages provide a high-level overview of primary ACA provisions, things to consider, and next steps to take.
- *The tax references in this website are provided for informational purposes only and relate to federal income tax only. Consult with your financial or tax advisor for more information about federal income tax and state income tax laws.
- †Many health plan issuers consider businesses with 51 or more full-time-equivalent employees (FTEs) a large business. However, for some provisions of the ACA, large businesses are defined as groups having 50 or more FTEs. FTEs include both full-time and part-time employees. With regard to the employer shared responsibility provision, full-time employees are those who work a monthly average of at least 30 hours a week or 130 hours a month. In 2016, some states expanded the definition of small business to include employers with up to 100 employees. In these states, businesses with up to 100 employees will have access to the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP).
- Although we have attempted to present accurate information, Kaiser Permanente disclaims any express or implied warranty as to the accuracy of any material contained herein, any liability with respect to it, and any responsibility to update this material for subsequent developments. As required by the IRS, we inform you that any tax advice contained in this website was not intended or written to be used or referred to, and cannot be used or referred to, (i) for the purpose of avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) in promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Users should consult with their own attorney or tax professional before making tax-related decisions.
Services covered under your health plan are provided and/or arranged by Kaiser Permanente health plans: Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc., in Northern and Southern California and Hawaii • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Colorado • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Georgia, Inc., Nine Piedmont Center, 3495 Piedmont Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30305, 404-364-7000 • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States, Inc., in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., 2101 E. Jefferson St., Rockville, MD 20852 • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Northwest, 500 NE Multnomah St., Suite 100, Portland, OR 97232 • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington or Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington Options, Inc., 320 Westlake Ave. N, Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98109 • Self-insured plans are administered by Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company, One Kaiser Plaza, Oakland, CA 94612
Congratulations! You have successfully saved this item.
To access your Saved items any time, open the "Saved Items" folder in the top right corner of the page.
It seems that you do not have cookies enabled. Please enable cookies to make use of all of our site's functionality.
You haven't collected any items yet.
- Save Content
Click the "Save" icon next to the content you want to revisit later.
- Access Your Saved Items
Click on the "Saved Items" link at the top of the page or use the URL we create for you.
Be sure to copy and paste the URL we create for you before you leave the site.
1-5 of 14
After leave the site, your saved items will be saved for you at this URL:https://business.kaiserpermanente.org/saved-items?user=